Our solutions for power converters help to improve conversion efficiency, minimize power loss, and lower energy costs. Leading companies around the world trust KEMET products for efficient and reliable power conversion.
Power conversion has a significant impact on a wide range of industries including medical, commercial, and industrial. With power conversion comes the risk of power loss and a host of other complications, which is why securing the right products to properly convert power is crucial in any application. KEMET products provide optimal power conversion in industrial equipment, consumer electronics, medical devices, and more. Many power converters use a film DC-link capacitor in an AC/AC topology as an intermediary DC step between AC sections of circuits such as motor drivers and inverters.
Low Parasitic Devices
KEMET’s low parasitic components ensure near-zero crosstalk in high efficiency power supplies and also minimize power loss due to heat.
Our solutions for high efficiency power supplies are utilized in the following applications:
- Manufacturing and equipment testing
- Battery-powered aviation systems
- Wireless charging for portable devices
- Fuel cells for automotive applications
- Motor control for marine applications
- DC power supplies for electroplating and electroforming
Power converters are solid-state or electromechanical devices used to convert electrical energy from one form into another. DC-link, resonant converters, and switched-mode power supplies (SMPS) perform reliable AC to DC, DC to AC, DC to DC, and AC to AC conversion. KEMET’s power electronics can improve conversion efficiency, save energy costs, and minimize power loss.
Our components enable power conversion in a wide range of devices, including:
- Variable Speed Drives (VSDs)
- Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS)
Wide Bandgap Devices
These semiconductors allow manufacturers to produce increasingly compact and power-efficient devices. Our products provide superior efficiency with excellent current, voltage, and temperature-handling capabilities in power electronics across the globe.
KEMET provides best-in-class products for wide bandgap power converters utilized in:
- Electric Vehicles (EVs)
- Industrial automation and robotics
- Data center equipment
- Consumer electronics
- Photovoltaic (PV) cells
- Control centers of wind farms
Low Parasitic Devices
Parasitics are unavoidable qualities created by the construction of a capacitor or an inductor. The leads on a capacitor create unwanted inductance and the parallel wires can increase undesired capacitance. These small parasitic qualities can add up and disturb sensitive power conversion circuits and digital equipment, such as in automotive body electronics which allow users to access and control safety features including ADAS and power systems.
- Parasitic models of capacitors can be found on K-SIM, so you can design in our parts with confidence
- Extremely low parasitic parts are available, such as the low loss orientation of our U2J KONNEKT, which lowers ESR and ESL by changing the way the capacitor is mounted
Power converters are ubiquitous devices that play a role in applications such as inverters for solar panels, drive systems, electric vehicle (EV) charging stations, and much more. These devices convert electrical energy from AC to DC or vice versa in electronic equipment, board-level power conversion, and electric power supplies.
- METCOM inductors are designed to be a drop-in replacement for existing designs with values commonly used in switching mode power supplies
- Polymer capacitors can give you the most CV out of your capacitor when space is an issue
- Ceramic capacitors, like KONNEKT, can give you the low ESR needed to design highly efficient LLC or resonant tank converters
- AC and DC chokes, EMI cores, and ferrite beads can help when there is trouble with EMC
- Film capacitor technology supplies the high energy and high reliability needed on the harsh environment application
Wide Bandgap Devices
Wide bandgap semiconductors, hailed as the next generation of energy-efficient materials, allow devices to operate at significantly higher voltage levels and frequencies than conventional materials. KEMET offers a wide range of components for wide bandgap devices to achieve greater power efficiencies.
- Capacitor resonant frequency can be found on our K-SIM tool to ensure it is performing below the higher switching frequency from wide bandgap semiconductors
- Increase power density with polymer’s high volumetric CV storage
- Class 1 dielectrics can deliver better efficiency with low ESR and consistent capacitance across temperature
- High temperature and low ESL film capacitors meet the high frequency requirements in resonant tank circuit and DC Link applications
- Tantalum polymer capacitors high volummetric efficiency and low ESR also make them suitable in Wide Band Gap applications where space is strictly constrained.