KEMET Spice Software
|KEMET Spice Software is freeware intended to aid design engineers in analyzing the performance of these capacitors over frequency, temperature, ripple, and DC bias conditions. The capacitor types include ceramic (MLCC), tantalum, polymer, and aluminum polymer capacitor types. Each capacitor type behaves differently to the conditions of the circuit, some showing no changes to moderate changes, while others showing very large changes to these conditions. Although it is a stand-alone, As a Windows based program, it is able to create files that can be imported into some commercial versions of SPICE software.|
To set up the latest version of KEMET Spice on the targeted computer, you must use the setup program (20.5 MB) to load the required *.DLL and *.OCX files into the System32 directory. Because it will write these files to the System32 directory and write to the registry, you will need administrative rights to load the program successfully. The "Update" options are no longer offered as the setup file will uninstall the previous version of KEMET Spice before installing the latest version.
A "Freeware" declaration is in PDF format, adjacent to the setup download program. The instructional manual ("Instructions for KEMET Spice 3.9.6x.pdf") details the operation of this software.
Note: Windows Vista Users
You must right-click on the downloaded setup file and choose “Run as administrator” to install.
KEMET Spice Software - Version 3.9.68
KEMET Spice Software Manual - Version 3.9.6x
KEMET Spice Freeware Designation
15-Sep-2012 Rev 3.9.6x
· AC Calculation method and seed for Film SMD changed.
· Ripple Vrms displayed and tracked in Temperature Rise versus Ripple Current plot as measuring ripple voltage is much easier than measuring the ripple current.
· Ripple Vrms displayed and tracked in Temperature Rise versus Combined Multiple Ripple Current plots, indications included for reverse voltage violations for polar capacitors.
· ESR and Flo seed values adjusted in T491 & T494 to reflect last year’s collected data for DF and ESR from production data and will be marked as changed with “#” suffix to part number for the next 6 months.
· Corrected ESR seed values missing for T520A 47, 68, and 100 µF pieces, causing program to crash on these selections.
· Expanded offerings or added T513, T540, T541, and T543.
· Added “Q” chip size and 11 Vdc to tantalum polymer selections.
· For tantalum polymer, maximum ripple application temperature set to +108°C, while temperature rating remains at +105°C, to allow for ~5°C ripple current temperature rise at +105°C (no changes for 125°C rated polymer parts).
· Modified Add/Delete multiple plots entry as a single form for multiple bias and temperature entries.
· Part number entries (space delimited) in choose cap type form problems corrected.
07-May-2012 Rev 3.9.5x
· Added T520B156M020, T520V336M025, T520W477M006, T521D107M016, and T521V107M016.
· Removed all voltage or size depictions on window forms using “period as decimal” and made these dependent on local preferences (“decimal as period” or “decimal as comma”).
· Added T540 (COTS version of selected T520) and T541 (COTS version of selected T530).
· Added T522 (reduced Leakage currents – Ta-Poly) and T489 (reduced Leakage currents – Ta-MnO2).
· Fixed problem with Cumulative Ripple Currents versus temperature rise for Ta-MnO2.
· Fixed problem for ceramics in converting PN to selected voltage.
· Installation using InstallShield in place of WiseInstall.
o WiseInstall was very outdated.
· Added Ansys and Multisim EDA model capabilities and model collections (zip).
o Key Function <Ctrl><F1> changed to <Shift><I> - Plot Temp Rise vs. Ripple Current at multiple Frequencies. (After new installation ^F1 no longer worked.)
o Key Function <Ctrl><F9> changed to <Ctrl><Shift><I> - Plot Temp Rise vs. Cum. Ripple Currents from multiple Frequencies. (Modified to be slight derivation of item detailed above.)
· Added capability of creating Maximum/Minimum Impedance variations of plotted response utilizing ± tolerance listed for capacitance, and ±20% of the nominal ESR (<Ctrl><+>).
· Corrected MnO2 ESR temperature compensation from polynomial reaching minimum at 100°C to reaching minimum at 125°C.
· Corrected Rth for C4AE 4-terminal devices (Rth is half previous allowing for 40% increase in ripple current)
· Using ripple voltage for C4AE obtained at 10 kHz, as maximum ripple voltage for all lower frequencies; to stay below partial discharge activation voltages.
This software has many capabilities that increase with each release and every attempt was made to detail the software and reveal its capabilities in this illustrated manual. It contains instructions on manipulating the temperature, voltages and frequency ranges. It shows the various plot types available as well as plots involving multiple pieces and combined impedances. Here is the 83 page manual to date:
View the KEMET Spice Software Manual - Version 3.9.6x
Part List .XLS
Here is the Excel spreadsheet of part numbers. It is a collection of part numbers used to guide the creation of models exported from KEMET Spice for the purpose of importing these models into the various commercial design programs. The intended location for this file is in the "CKTs" subdirectory of the directory where KEMET Sp.EXE is loaded, (i.e., "C:\Program Files\KEMET_Spice\CKTs\"). These represent mostly decade values of many styles, dielectrics, voltage ratings, and sizes; but it is intended to filled with only those part numbers that are used by each customer:
Download KEMET "Part List.XLS"
The piece count in this spreadsheet involves 667 part types, with some creating a single model representing multiple chips. There are some part numbers which will not create models as these were included to demonstrate incorrect part numbers or restrictions if part number is not matched in KEMET Spice.
The models referenced in the "Models" file listings are included in the following "Circuit Drawings.zip" compressed file as JPEG presentations of the referenced circuits.
Click here to download circuit diagrams (.jpg and .slb) "Circuit Drawings.zip"
KEMET Net List Files
The EDA model files as well as frequency listing of S-Parameter and Touchstone Impedance files follow.
Click here for Ansoft
Click here for Ansys
Click here for Cadence
Click here for Mentor
Click here for Multisim
Click here for NetList
Click here for S-Parameter
Click here for Sigrity
Click here for SIMPLIS
Click here for Touchstone
KEMET FIT Calculator Software
A method of predicting reliability based on stress and environmental factors has been available for many capacitor types. The calculations found in MIL-HDBK-217 (revision F) allow the ambient temperature, application bias, and environmental factors to create multipliers of established failure rates for many military part types. Based on the monitored reliability of the non-military, commercial part types, these same multipliers can be used to define a projected application failure rate. The failure rates are listed as “FIT” (failures in time), and “MTBF” (mean time before failure).
This calculator software is intended to follow the calculations spelled out in this handbook for the specific part types that KEMET manufactures: ceramic multilayer capacitors, solid-tantalum capacitors, and the latest, the solid-aluminum capacitors. Just enter the capacitance, the voltage rating, and the part type, and the calculations are immediate. Manipulate the temperature and the voltage to see the impacts instantly.
Download the FIT Calculator Software manual in PDF format to see the impact of each element of the program, or activate the Help screen to search for additional information on the calculations and all of the elements.
This software is applicable for Windows (95, 98, 2000 and XP) and NT. Please refer to the program for a revision history from previous versions.
Download KEMET FIT Software - Version 3.5.31 Once you have downloaded the application to your system, click on it to install it.
View the KEMET FIT Software Manual - Version 3.5.31
View the KEMET FIT Freeware Designation
CBR Series - RF and Microwave Capacitor Design Tools
Scattering parameters of KEMET CBR Series Capacitors measured on Rogers R04350 soft-board. Files are provided as .s2p files and valid from 45MHz – 12GHz.
Scalable Global Models:
KEMET has teamed with Modelithics to develop highly accurate and scalable Global™ models for KEMET’s CBR series capacitors. Careful measurement and extensive knowledge of current EDA tools allow Modelithics to create precision models that yield accurate simulations. Models are scalable using the following parameters:
- Substrate height
- Substrate dielectric constant
- Substrate loss tangent
- Metal thickness
- Pad dimensions
- Cap tolerance