KEMET Spice Software
KEMET Spice Software is freeware intended to aid design engineers in analyzing the performance of these capacitors over frequency, temperature, ripple, and DC bias conditions. The capacitor types include ceramic (MLCC), tantalum, polymer, and aluminum polymer capacitor types. Each capacitor type behaves differently to the conditions of the circuit, some showing no changes to moderate changes, while others showing very large changes to these conditions. Although it is a stand-alone, As a Windows bas ed program, it is able to create files that can be imported into some commercial versions of SPICE software.
To set up the latest version of KEMET Spice on the targeted computer, you must use the setup program (20.5 MB) to load the required *.DLL and *.OCX files into the System32 directory. Because it will wr ite these files to the System32 directory and write to the registry, you will need administrative rights to load the program successfully. The "Update" options are no longer offered as the setup file will uninstall the previous version of KEMET Spice before installing the latest version.
A "Freeware" declaration is in PDF format, adjacent to the setup download program. The instructional manual ("Instructions for KEMET Spice 3.9.6x.pdf") details the operation of this software.
15-Sep-2012 Rev 3.9.6x.
- AC Calculation method and seed for Film SMD changed.
- Ripple Vrms displayed and tracked in Temperature Rise versus Ripple Current plot as measuring ripple voltage is much easier than measuring the ripple current.
- Ripple Vrms displayed and tracked in Temperature Rise versus Combined Multiple Ripple Current plots, indications included for reverse voltage violations for polar capacitors.
- ESR and Flo seed values adjusted in T491 & T494 to reflect last year’s collected data for DF and ESR from production data and will be marked as changed with “#” suffix to part number for the next 6 months.
- Corrected ESR seed values missing for T520A 47, 68, and 100 µF pieces, causing program to crash on these selections.
- Expanded offerings or added T513, T540, T541, and T543.
- Added “Q” chip size and 11 Vdc to tantalum polymer selections.
- For tantalum polymer, maximum ripple application temperature set to +108°C, while temperature rating remains at +105°C, to allow for ~5°C ripple current temperature rise at +105°C (no changes for 125°C rated polymer parts).
- Modified Add/Delete multiple plots entry as a single form for multiple bias and temperature entries.
- Part number entries (space delimited) in choose cap type form problems corrected.
07-May-2012 Rev 3.9.5x
- Added T520B156M020, T520V336M025, T520W477M006, T521D107M016, and T521V107M016.
- Removed all voltage or size depictions on window forms using “period as decimal” and made these dependent on local preferences (“decimal as period” or “decimal as comma”).
- Added T540 (COTS version of selected T520) and T541 (COTS version of selected T530).
- Added T522 (reduced Leakage currents – Ta-Poly) and T489 (reduced Leakage currents – Ta-MnO2).
- Fixed problem with Cumulative Ripple Currents versus temperature rise for Ta-MnO2.
- Fixed problem for ceramics in converting PN to selected voltage.
- Installation using InstallShield in place of WiseInstall
- WiseInstall was very outdated.
- Key Function <Ctrl><F1> changed to <Shift><I> - Plot Temp Rise vs. Ripple Current at multiple Frequencies. (After new installation ^F1 no longer worked.)
- Key Function <Ctrl><F9> changed to <Ctrl><Shift><I> - Plot Temp Rise vs. Cum. Ripple Currents from multiple Frequencies. (Modified to be slight derivation of item detailed above.)
- Added Ansys and Multisim EDA model capabilities and model collections (zip).
- Added capability of creating Maximum/Minimum Impedance variations of plotted response utilizing ± tolerance listed for capacitance, and ±20% of the nominal ESR (<Ctrl><+>).
Corrected MnO2 ESR temperature compensation from polynomial reaching minimum at 100°C to reaching minimum at 125°C.
Corrected Rth for C4AE 4-terminal devices (Rth is half previous allowing for 40% increase in ripple current)
- Using ripple voltage for C4AE obtained at 10 kHz, as maximum ripple voltage for all lower frequencies; to stay below partial discharge activation voltages.
This software has many capabilities that increase with each release and every attempt was made to detail the software and reveal its capabilities in this illustrated manual. It contains instructions on manipulating the temperature, voltages and frequency ranges. It shows the various plot types available as well as plots involving multiple pieces and combined impedances. Here is the 83 page manual to date:
KEMET Spice Software Manual - Version 3.9.6x
Part List .XLS
Here is the Excel spreadsheet of part numbers. It is a collection of part numbers used to guide the creation of models exported from KEMET Spice for the purpose of importing these models into the various commercial design programs. The intended location for this file is in the "CKTs" subdirectory of the directory where KEMET Sp.EXE is loaded, (i.e., "C:\Program Files\KEMET_Spice\CKTs\"). These represent mostly decade values of many styles, dielectrics, voltage ratings, and sizes; but it is intended to filled with only those part numbers that are used by each customer:
Download KEMET "Part List.XLS"
The piece count in this spreadsheet involves 667 part types, with some creating a single model representing multiple chips. There are some part numbers which will not create models as these were included to demonstrate incorrect part numbers or restrictions if part number is not matched in KEMET Spice.
The models referenced in the "Models" file listings are included in the following "Circuit Drawings.zip" compressed file as JPEG presentations of the referenced circuits.
Click here to
download circuit diagrams (.jpg and .slb) "Circuit Drawings.zip"
KEMET Net List Files
The EDA model files as well as frequency listing of S-Parameter and Touchstone Impedance files follow.