'S' Termination Code Announcement
To aid the industry in the challenge of converting to lead-free components and processes, KEMET has provided part number options to meet all needs. As the conversion has progressed, however, the preference has shifted to unique part numbering for each available version of a product. This affects not only component suppliers, but also their distributors, EMS providers, OEMs and their design partners.
The reasons for this shift are many and valid. Industry associations such as the International Electronics Manufacturing Initiative (iNEMI), the National Electronics Distributors Association (NEDA), and the EMS Forum have published position papers strongly supporting this approach. In response, KEMET is eliminating the ‘S’ termination suffix code from our surface mount tantalum MnO2 and conductive polymer part identification options. This impacts T49x, T510, T520, and T530 series products. (Please note that our MIL and MIL equivalent T492 series as well as series which do not presently provide the ‘S’ termination code option are expressly omitted from this change.)
We realize this change can't take place without some effort on the part of both your and our organizations. Removing the ‘S’ option requires that you define the specific product construction desired by choosing either the ‘T’ suffix option, which guarantees shipment of 100% tin finish RoHS compliant product, or the ‘H’ suffix option, which guarantees shipment of SnPb finish non-RoHS compliant product. Other compliant termination options, such as gold, may also be available depending on product line. You may have to modify drawings, update BOMs, and/or notify floor associates for receiving acceptance.
As we wind down use of the S code, your input is valuable to us. With your feedback, we will be able to better communicate information and define other support that may be required. together, we're confident that we can accomplish this goal without negative impact to sourcing, delivery or use.
Why unique part numbering?
- Establishes clear ordering preference, removing ambiguity over which product the supplier should ship.
- Facilitates management of compliant vs. non-compliant products in the MRP system.
- Provides accuracy for material composition reporting (IMDS, IPC-1752, etc.).
- Prevents cross-contamination of lines converted to lead free.
- Manages application risks associated with backward or forward processes.
- Allows identification of products with differing requirements between lead bearing and lead free parts (i.e., MSL ratings, peak temperature capabilities, etc.).
- Reduces the risk of using the wrong product in manufacturing and the resulting liability of such an error.
to see "KEMET Commercial Tantalum Surface Mount Part Identification"
to see "Attachments 1 & 2: KEMET Part Numbering Scheme Options"